We are a busy but friendly school, with lots going on. This website aims to give you a taster of the school, as well as providing up to date information for parents, pupils and the wider community.
The History of Roding Primary School
Roding Primary School is named after the River Roding which flows through Barking to the Thames at Barking Creek. It was the centre of the fishing port of Barking. The fishing smacks (boats) were mostly owned by the Hewett family and numbered 220 vessels with 1760 crew in 1850. They fished off the East Anglian coast.
Samuel Hewett was famous for coming up with the idea of using ice houses to preserve the fish as they were shipped into London. The road that the original school is located on is called Hewett Road to commemorate the family.
The fishing port declined when trains were invented and used to ship fish quickly into London from Great Yarmouth. The Hewett family also relocated to Great Yarmouth. There is still a pub in Great Yarmouth called the Barking Smack.
Roding Primary School Hewett Road site shares a site with St Teresa's Catholic Primary School. Until 1992 the current building was shared by both schools, with St Teresa's site being Roding Infant school. When Roding Infants merged with Roding Junior to make the Primary School, St Teresa's moved to the northern building. The school field is still shared, as is the kitchen.
In 2008 we were asked to expand to meet the growing needs for pupil places. As the Hewett site already accommodated 2 schools we were given extra land in Cannington Road, 10 mins walk from Hewett Road. Whilst the extra site was being built, we started to admit children at a temporary site in Halbutt Street. The Cannington site opened in September 2010 and the extension was opened in September 2013. At 6 forms of entry Roding is one of the biggest Primary schools in the country.
Click here for more information.