Useful Links

What is a Carer?

A carer is someone who provides a substantial amount of care to a person who has a physical illness, Alzheimer’s disease or other dementia, physical disability, learning disability or mental illness.

A carer can be an adult or a child, a parent, husband, wife, partner, other close relative, friend or neighbour and a carer may not necessarily live with the person they are caring for.

Carers are entitled to request an assessment under the Carers (Recognition and Services) Act in order to ensure that social services listen to their views. These views must then be taken into account when deciding upon which services may be provided to the person requiring the care.

It is possible for carers to feel isolated and depressed and they often need support to help them in their vital role. When social care provides services for the person requiring care, they should be provided in a way that supports the carer in their role.

What is a Young Carer?

A young carer is a person aged 18 or under who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member. This can include, but is not limited to, a person with:

  • A long term illness or condition
  • A physical or learning disability
  • A substance misuse problem
  • A mental health condition

If you are a Young Carer and would like to speak to someone in school, please speak to your class teacher, a Thrive Practitioner or any other trusted adult in school.
If you are caring for someone, the information on the website below may be useful to you.

  • Carers of Barking & Dagenham

  • Getting you help & support with the cost of living